What is gross misconduct?
Gross misconduct is defined as an offence commited by staff which is so serious, that justifies immediate dismissal and does not qualify them for payment in lieu of notice . Gross misconduct includes:
- Theft or physical violence against you or other employees
- Fraudulent activities
- Damage to property
- Misusing your business' name or property
- Ignoring health and safety rules
- Using drugs or alcohol at work
- Accessing inappropriate websites at work
The details on what exactly constitutes gross misconduct can be defined on your staff handbook. If you are seeking more information on staff dismissal for gross misconduct, it's essential to know what wrongful acts are included under gross misconduct, what are the rules on dismissing an employee, and what is the right process. Otherwise, it can result in an unfair dismissal. To help you understand gross misconduct inside and out, we've created a guide to gross misconduct .